Friday, February 1, 2013

AJE-Component of the Month Reveal

Today is the day!And I actually have TWO reveals today! If you are looking for the Seam Binding Challenge, go here.
 I was so very stoked when I got the email from Karen Totten, of Starry Road Studios, telling me I had won a component. The very talented folks over at Art Jewelry Elements hold a challenge each month, and a couple of lucky commenters get to play along. Here are the components for this month's challenge:


(photo courtesy of AJE blog)

I got one of the caramel orangey ones. And no, I didn't think to take a pic of it when I ripped gently opened the package!  I adore ceramics, and have spent many happy hours painting figures in a friend's pottery shop.

So, I know Karen calls these pie beads, but I didn't immediately think 'pie' when I saw it. The first thing that struck me was the beautiful color. The next was the wonderful swirley design she stamped on it, with her own handmade stamps.
As when I participated in the challenge before with Diana Ptaszynski's component, I knew I wanted that baby front and center on a bracelet.
I have had a love affair with CRAW for quite a while now, and I have some gorgeous matte beads from Brightling Beads that just seemed perfect for this project.
I did run into some hiccups along the way. I tried to bezel the ceramic bead. And, while it looked pretty, it wasn't the concept I was going for....so...I ripped it out. Yep. First time for me to do that much work, and just rip it out with no hesitation!
Here's the bezel:
And because the bezel made the piece so large, I needed two ropes of CRAW on either side....
So then, when I ripped out the bezel, I had these ropes that I need to tie into the focal somehow, without overwhelming it....
Now, you see those cute little beaded beads in the center of the ropes? Those were from the amazing Liz Reed of Crimson Moon. She provided a free tutorial on them, and I just love how they brought the two sides of the rope together. Thus they became my solution.
They mimic the shape of the ceramic bead, and the swirl of color.

The swirl pattern on the CRAW came about from a conversation with Heather Collin, and further playing with the pattern.

Close up of the clasp, also done in CRAW.I love the contrast of the matte and shiny, and the raku color with the dreamsicle orange.
Thanks Karen and AJE for letting me play along this month. It has been such a joy!
Blessings, Shirley





15 comments:

  1. Well done on winning that gorgeous cabochon, I love what you've done with it! Amazing colours and very clever use of the beaded beads, I would never have thought of that. Thanks for the mention :) Liz xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love love love it! I think you really had fun finding the fit! I love it when the beads tell us what to do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous! Tons of work, I'm sure. Looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your design and accent color choices! Bet this looks gorgeous on an arm!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You seed bead people amaze me! Totally gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the colors that you chose to complement the focal bead. All those seed beads make my head spin! I love how you wrangle them. Enjoy the day. Erin

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never would've thought of the seed bead ropes - but they look awesome with the focal. Love the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love what you decided on! Soooo jealous of your patience to work with all those itty bitty beads!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, dimensional RAW! Once in awhile I dabble in RAW using larger beads. I'm not patient enough to do it with seed beads and the one time I tried to make cubes...well let's just say it wasn't pretty! Yours, on the other hand, is gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Shirley! Love your beaded design! That is one of my favorite color combos!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just cannot imagine tearing out beadwork,...if I ever once did any of it! ha! But I love your design, Shirley! (And hey, there's that blue color showing up again too!) ;-)

    P.S. Your clasps are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know this not only looks, but feels, fabulous on your wrist. And you talked to Heather Collin - I'm drooling!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is so clever and creative and totally awesome! I love this bracelet so much. WTG!!!

    ReplyDelete

I'm thrilled you stopped by! Thanks for your words of wisdom.