I knew I wanted to make more than one piece, and that I wanted the clasp to take center place in it's piece. So, for the first time, I did make some notes on my ideas, put all the beads on a tray, and just moved them around til they told me who was going to what party. I have to tell ya, those little spacers are quite the partyers. They just played with everybody!
So I got stringing experience in this bracelet, as the herringbone strand was too thick for the spacers to slide onto, so I made 3 tubes in orange, red, and silver seed beads to complement the colors in the lampwork beads.
Here's my real stringing challenge! I started off with some lovely soft grey pearls between the tigereye beads. However, upon inspecting them more closely, I realized they were plastic, not glass. Bummer. I really liked that color combo, but had no luck trying to find anything similar. So, I used some galvanized size 6 seed beads between the tigereye rounds, and some metallic between the pearls. I was proud of myself on this one, since it's strung, asymmetrical, and doesn't have any beadweaving in it! It is long enough to just slip over my head, so I can showcase that beautiful clasp in the front. Oh, and I mixed metals in it too!!
This was actually the first piece I started on, and designing it took forever, even though it looks the most simple. I just wanted it to show off that focal, and not draw your eye away from it. I used one of the headpins to string it, and did a messy loop at the top. I took the chain apart and used pieces of it everywhere. I bought the chain with the big circles, and it matched the color of Mallory's chain perfectly. Then I used individual links to put them all together, adding some of the spacers (see how they get around?) to the smaller circles near the focal.
I don't think it has a finished look to it, like some of the pieces I see so many talented artist selling, but I have to be proud of myself for jumping so far outside my realm of comfort.
And, finally, the one that almost wasn't. I literally finished it Friday at 4:00 p.m. I made the tubes thinking they would work with the focal bead, then decided it didn't work. I wanted to use them, I just couldn't work out the design. Then, inspiration hit late Thursday night.
I had planned on putting little dangles on the ends, which is why I just looped them. However, the way it hangs on my arm, I think it would just tickle! :)
Hope you enjoyed my endeavors, and are fortified for the rest of the hop with lots of coffee and chocolate!
Here is the link to the rest of the group: http://lorianderson-beadsoupblogparty.blogspot.com/ Blessings, Shirley