Sunday, September 29, 2013

Beading Babes Project 9 Reveal

Hi everyone! Today is reveal day for Project 9 of the Beading Babes group. We had lots of lovely patterns to choose from for this Project, and I love the one that I chose to work on, the SuperNova bracelet by Lucy Baker, Bead and Button, Feb 2013. I couldn't wait to see how she created the structure of the focal piece. It is a very intriguing technique, and I'm so very glad I tried this project. I did have a few issues, but they led me to creative solutions, so I'm a happy camper. Here is a pic of the original project.
bbpdf130268 (from Bead and Button website)


I was not in love with the band on this piece, so I worked some craw magic for mine! I actually made four strips, and joined two together with bicones on either end to create the bands for the bracelet. That allowed them to bend into an ellipse when the bracelet is worn, which I think looks quite lovely.

 I also made the toggle clasp with craw, to keep the symmetry flowing. I love how the band circles mimic the shape of the focal.




I kept my colors similar to the ones in the project, I love the soft, subtle look of this piece.




See that cool shape? It really looks awesome on your arm!


 I used the bicones sparingly, to give just that hint of sparkle.



 I chose to finish the focal with size 15's instead of the bicones. I love how it turned out.
I was thrilled to be able to donate this bracelet for a fundraiser...Silent Auction for the National Inclusion Project's 10th Anniversary Gala being held in Charlotte NC.

Blessings, Shirley

5 comments:

  1. Shirley, that is just gorgeous! I love how the central portion is raised...now I have to go grab that issue and check it out. I'm wondering how I missed it before...? Also love the colors you chose. You're going to have people stopping you on the street to see how you did that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful Shirley, I like the changes you made they even out the weigh of the focal piece, much more then the original design. I hope it brought a good price at the auction.
    Therese

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally awesome Shirley! I like your craw band adaptation. I am learning craw and joining the ring (the zip up), I am totally daunted by, so your solution is brilliant. I totally want to make the earrings that are detailed in this pattern. The centrepiece of the bracelet is really lovely and well designed. Good on you for making it :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have absolutely no idea what CRAW means...some sort of adaptation of a right angle weave. I assume....i also have no idea what a right angle weave is. However, I DO know that this bracelet is stunning....from the colors to the construction! Lovely!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shirley, Oh My Goodness!!! This piece is gorgoeus, but that band is fabulous! It really seems to give it the support the center piece needs and has great style while doing so :-) I like your band a lot more than the mag one. What a fantastic idea!

    ReplyDelete

I'm thrilled you stopped by! Thanks for your words of wisdom.